The TickTime Dice is a single activity countdown timer that may show you how to overcome procrastination, grasp your time administration, and increase your productiveness. If you happen to’re already utilizing the Pomodoro Approach, you may love the Pomodoro mode, which takes you thru as much as 4 cycles of half-hour every. The timer comes with a number of preset countdown occasions, however you may also set a customized time of 99 minutes and 59 seconds or much less or use the stopwatch function to depend up.
- Countdown timer
- Pomodoro mode
- Model: PIHEN
- Coloration: Black, blue, lavender, pink, white, or yellow
- Weight: 1.87oz (53g)
- Dimensions: 1.69×1.69×1.69in (4.3×4.3×4.3cm)
- Energy Provide: USB-C charging port
- Battery Life: 25 hours
- Battery Sort: rechargeable 550mAh
- Show: 1.57×1.57in (4x4cm)
- Timers: 1, 3, 5, and 10 minutes
- Charging Time: 2-3 hours, PD charging supported
- Standby Time: 180 days
- Simple to make use of
- A number of preset countdown occasions and customized time possibility
- Pomodoro cycle runs as much as 4 occasions in a row
- Can run as a stopwatch
- Has a pause possibility
- Show rotates to stay simply legible
- Can run in silent mode, however can even give visible and audible cues
- Display screen is at all times on whereas operating
- Restricted battery life and battery isn’t replaceable
- Costlier than a easy kitchen timer
Getting stuff completed is difficult. Whether or not it is at your desk or within the kitchen, exact time administration could be the important thing to success. A timer can even show you how to overcome procrastination by tackling tough duties briefly sprints.
The TickTime Dice is a timer designed with all of this and extra in thoughts. You may depend down from 99 minutes and 59 seconds or much less, and if you set it to its default 25-minute interval, the timer will routinely enter Pomodoro mode. The TickTime Dice additionally options contact controls, a magnet for simple mounting, and a stopwatch mode.
Is the TickTime Dice the precise timer to extend your productiveness or completely time your kitchen experiments? Let’s discover out.
What Is the Pomodoro Approach
Newton’s first legislation of movement informs us that “an object in movement stays in movement.” What’s true in physics, would not essentially apply to psychology, however as soon as you’ve got overcome your preliminary inertia and began a mission, it’s simpler to maintain going. That mentioned, your thoughts is not a downhill slope; it is stuffed with antagonizing forces (aka ideas) that may finally cease your progress (aka focus), except you set some boundaries.
Again within the Eighties, Francesco Cirillo, then a college scholar, saved getting distracted whereas learning for an examination. He dedicated to staying targeted for simply two minutes and timed it with a tomato-shaped kitchen timer. It labored, and after some trial-and-error, he discovered that focusing for 25 minutes, adopted by a 5-minute break, maximized his productiveness. He referred to as this time administration methodology the Pomodoro approach (“pomodoro” is Italian for tomato).
We’ve got beforehand coated how the Pomodoro methodology works in addition to free Pomodoro productiveness apps. If you happen to’re in search of a bodily Pomodoro timer, then think about the TickTime Dice; it is fairly a bit extra superior than an everyday kitchen timer. And it helped me energy by means of producing this overview for you.
First Impressions of the TickTime Dice
The TickTime Dice is available in a small field with a white USB to USB-C charging cable and a tiny person handbook.
The timer itself is concerning the measurement of a golf ball, besides that it is a six-sided dice. It simply matches into the palm of your hand, your pocket, purse, or laptop computer bag. I acquired a black overview unit, nevertheless it’s additionally obtainable in white, pink, blue, yellow, or lavender.
This is how the timer is laid out:
- The “entrance” facet carries a square-shaped show, 4 small triangular buttons, one in every nook, and the USB-C charging on the high middle.
- On the other facet, you may discover a round show, which serves because the stopwatch timer, i.e. it counts up as an alternative of down.
- The 4 remaining sides of the dice comprise the timer’s default countdown timers of 1, 3, 5, and 10 minutes, in addition to 60, 15, 25, or 45 minutes, respectively. I am going to clarify how that works beneath.
The press pictures counsel that the TickTime Dice is manufactured from a shiny materials. The non-display sides of the overview unit, nevertheless, had a matte velvety end that is nice to the contact. Whereas at first, it regarded and felt far more elegant than a plastic dice, it rapidly bought coated in ugly fingerprints, and the velvety floor was tougher to wash than plain plastic.
Easy methods to Use the TickTime Dice
The TickTime Dice is an iteration of the unique TickTime (our overview). Regardless of sporting plenty of new options, it is nonetheless greatest used as a single activity timer. Earlier than you set it to work, make sure you cost it utilizing the USB-C charging port on the high middle of its entrance show.
- As soon as charged and with the show dealing with up, press the pause/energy button within the high left of the show to show the timer on.
- Whereas the TickTime Dice is on, press the V (quantity) button within the high proper to cycle between quiet, medium-loud, loud, silent, or vibration mode.
- When the show is dealing with up, you should utilize the M (minutes) and S (seconds) buttons within the backside left and proper to manually set your countdown time.
- The timer will begin counting down as quickly as you lay it on considered one of its facet, i.e. when the show is now not dealing with up.
- The TickTime Dice will keep in mind your customized time. Subsequent time you begin your timer, short-press the M or S button to carry up your earlier customized time.
- To make use of one of many preset countdowns, flip the timer on and let the specified quantity face up. So when the facet saying 3 (15) faces up, the TickTime Dice will depend down from 3 minutes.
- The show will rotate, to be able to simply learn the present countdown, no matter which facet the dice is on.
- You may depend down from multiples of the default preset time, e.g. 30 as an alternative of 10 minutes, by tapping the fingerprint icon to multiply the default preset, i.e. thrice to get from 10 to half-hour.
- You may change to the bigger quantity printed on the respective facet, e.g. 25 on the facet saying 5, by long-pressing the fingerprint icon.
- On the finish of a countdown interval, the remaining time (i.e. 00:00) will blink, and the timer will concurrently beep or vibrate for a couple of minute. Press the pause/energy button or carry the show as much as cease the notification.
- The 25-minute interval routinely launches the TickTime Dice’s Pomodoro mode; you may discover the tiny pink tomato on the middle of the primary show. On this setting, it’ll depend down from 25 minutes, then depend down a 5-minute break, and begin a brand new 30-minute Pomodoro session. It’s going to achieve this for a most of 4 rounds, and you’ll see the present spherical quantity on the high of the show.
- To pause the timer, you possibly can both press the pause/energy button or tilt it to make the primary show face up. Be aware that if you do the latter after pausing, it’s going to change to handbook mode and lose your earlier countdown.
To run the stopwatch, simply flip the timer to carry the secondary show face up. You may depend as much as 99 minutes and 59 seconds.
- Be aware that you’re going to lose the timer that was operating earlier than you switched.
- You may pause the stopwatch, however you may need to carry the primary show face up.
What’s It Prefer to Use the TickTime Dice?
Dealing with the timer takes a little bit of apply. Because it includes a gyro, each tilt has penalties. When you get the dangle of it, nevertheless, you may be setting countdown timers with ease.
Hold these factors in thoughts:
- Keep away from unintentionally touching the top-facing fingerprint icon when you’re in the midst of a session, as that may reset the countdown. Thankfully, solely the facet that is dealing with up is responsive; tapping the fingerprint icon of a facet that is dealing with left or proper will not do something.
- Tilting the timer one too many occasions or within the unsuitable path might trigger you to lose your present countdown. At all times tilt the timer again into its unique place if you paused it by dealing with the show up, in any other case, you may begin a brand new countdown.
- Whenever you depart the timer sitting idle with the show dealing with up, it’ll energy down after round 5 minutes (the handbook claims 10 minutes) to preserve battery life. In my expertise, the timer will not keep in mind the place you left off if you flip it again on.
Did It Increase My Productiveness?
The TickTime Dice helped me get by means of repetitive duties that profit from a time restrict or could be completed briefly sprints, like answering emails. Everybody works in another way, and the Pomodoro approach would not at all times work for me. I will focus for greater than 25 minutes, therefore, getting interrupted by a 5-minute break once I’m simply coming into my circulate is not useful. So I continuously ignored the timer and continued engaged on my activity as an alternative. Nevertheless, having a delicate reminder that an hour has handed helped me get some common motion into my day.
How Does the TickTime Dice Evaluate to the Unique TickTime?
You could do not forget that MakeUseOf reviewed the unique TickTime. It was launched firstly of the pandemic as a crowdfunding mission.
The unique TickTime is a a lot less complicated timer with six preset countdown occasions (3, 5, 10, 15, 25, and half-hour), in addition to the choice to manually set a countdown time. It has a a lot smaller show than the TickTime Dice, it would not function a separate stopwatch show, it’s important to manually preserve observe of your Pomodoro occasions, you possibly can’t pause a countdown, the show could not rotate to every of the perimeters, there isn’t any faucet management or multiplying countdown timers, and it costs by means of micro-USB. The TickTime Dice gives an extra 5 hours of battery life, in comparison with the unique TickTime. One factor I miss within the new TickTime Dice is the distraction-free mode, i.e. the choice to show the show off.
Ought to You Purchase the TickTime Dice?
The TickTime Dice is a neat little gadget for when all you want is a flexible single activity timer. I recognize the Pomodoro mode, the truth that it comes with a USB-C charging port, the improved battery life, and the magnet on its bottom that lets us mount the timer to our whiteboard, fridge, or exhaust hood. What’s nice concerning the TickTime Dice is that it is optionally silent, and monitoring time would not require checking a smartphone app, which might imply getting distracted by notifications.
The downsides of the TickTime Dice are just like these of the unique TickTime: its 25 hours of battery life will not get you thru a whole work week with out recharging, you possibly can’t exchange the battery as soon as it wears out, and it will not be cheaper. Like its predecessor, this product will launch with a Kickstarter. Furthermore, not like its first iteration, the TickTime Dice would not supply a distraction-free mode with the show turned off or turned down. Lastly, it won’t be the precise software for what you want.
If you wish to observe a number of duties concurrently, you may want a scientific timer with a number of channels. So as to add up the occasions you spend on numerous duties all through the day, for instance, to trace billable freelance hours, the TimeFlip 2 time tracker might be your reply, nevertheless it requires that you just keep in mind to flip it if you change between duties. A time monitoring app like Toggl might be extra correct if all of your work occurs in your laptop; plus, it could actually’t run out of battery energy, and it is actually hands-off.